Sunday 5 January 2014

Foray into Jounalism: Part 2

What I liked most about the newsroom was the quiet hum as you filtered info.  Desks arranged in L's back to back in the open plan office, windows blinded against the blue and grey skies, against distraction. The book and the tray forming the interstices.

The book filled in advance with local interests, events, advertising, interviews, court proceedings ect The photographer will attend, and journalist if of particular interest. The photos with contacted details, notes, press release (as applicable) are then put into the tray. This is worked through, writing copy for each edition that is then sent on to the deputy/editor and allocated a position (unless it is considered more newsworthy and given more space, then you'll often work within the page layout).

Of course I was a newbie, by the end of the week I'd added a couple of entries in the book. Established journalist also have their own on going research for longer articles, or running news, or investigative pieces. They have areas they tend to cover, known with regularity, meeting each morning to discuss what's on the agenda, leads, the shape of the next edition. I started by grabbing a few pictures from the tray and set to. Bake sales, cheque presentations, charity events, art exhibitions. Read info (often very little), call for quote (often no answer), research as necessary, write up. I found it useful to have several of these overlapping, plenty to keep busy with when awaiting callbacks and such.

Short, sharp stories swiftly let go, research teasing out leads.

On my second day I was looking for a quote for a certificate presentation photo which coincided with an opening of a community run cafe later that day. The second of cafe following the success of the first, as part of a scheme helping those who have fallen through cracks of society due to redundancy, poverty & benefit sanctions to re-enter via training, jobs and tenancy. The photographer was going down to take pictures, the brief write up gained momentum, and the dep ed gave the go ahead to my suggestion to attend and talk to the organisers directly.

When I arrived the opening was in full swing and busy with those involved, the local community, press and radio. I mingled a bit, introducing myself and quickly found myself interviewing the organisers, sparking an impromptu press conference before chatting to those gathered and listening to the presentation. In and out in an hour, head spinnin a bit from the abrupt change of pace, then back to the office to report back and write up.

On my third day I finished the article, which contrasted interestingly with being sent out into the town centre for a vox pop re Osbourne's latest mandatory poverty punishing welfare reform. Along with a myriad of other small articles from the tray in preparation for the Friday edition. This quick turnover, eating lunch at your desk, was interrupted by the odd cigarette break and quick beats on the street to get videos for web content (which I was actually nervous about due to my complete inexperience with fancy touch screen mobiles) chocolate vouchers, reports of a fire (someone, an anonymous witness told me, fell off a chair).

 OBR2 was on the back burner but a flashes of inspiration found me scrawling notes as I hurried along the river, in the rain or glaring morning sunshine, between school and office.

 The final day on an article about a Stop Start group, enabling the voices of women who are survivors of child sex crime to be heard. Following Yewtree and recent crime reports of local offenders, including a police officer.

In my wrap up chat My Headlines were Criticised for being Victorian. I'll own that, with a wry smile. And I was reminded that this was a local paper, not one of the big nationals...which I'll take as a compliment. I really enjoyed my time there, the fast pace, finding my plotting habits melding well with the process. Even just about getting to grips with the dastardly programmes. I was offered another week but as it was unpaid and childcare difficult to get I had to decline.

Freelancing is definitely something I would like to do alongside my pursuit of publication for A Song of Sorrow and writing OBR2 and this experience was worth having.

1 comment:

  1. So pleased to hear that your work with the local newspaper went well! Your articles are very accomplished and I'm sure you'd be a great freelancer. (And I, for one, prefer Victorian Headlines, so much more lyrical!) -x-

    ReplyDelete